Conservation Advice for European marine sites (Reg 37)
Why do we manage our Marine Protected Areas (MPAs)?
Effective management of the many uses and activities in the marine environment is crucial to safeguard our amazing marine wildlife and seascapes, and is equally important in preserving a future for those industries which rely on the coast and sea.
Wales' diverse coasts and seas support a wealth of habitats and species, generates income for the Welsh economy, and are a key part of our culture, history, landscape and recreation.
Our role in conservation advice
Conservation advice is produced under Regulation 37 (3) of the Habitats Regulations. It states that as soon as possible after a site becomes a European marine site (EMS), NRW (as the appropriate nature conservation body for Wales) must advise other relevant authorities as to:
- the conservation objectives for that site
- any operations which may cause deterioration of natural habitats or the habitats of species, or disturbance of species, for which the site has been designated
The first set of conservation advice was produced for our sites in 2003/04, the second set in 2009. The latest versions published in 2017 and 2018 are updates of the 2009 advice to include changes in the competent authority and legislation changes.
Advice on operations
The Habitat Regulations also calls for Natural Resources Wales to provide information on operations that might cause damage to a feature or features of the site. This information is contained within the conservation advice package, (Reg 37 document).
Regulation 37 Advice
Our conservation advice packages are useful if you are:
- developing, proposing or assessing an activity, plan or project that may affect the protected features of a European Marine Site (EMS)
- preparing Habitats Regulations Assessments or Environmental Impact Assessments, for proposed plans or projects, that may affect the protected features of an EMS
- planning measures to maintain or restore an EMS and its protected features
- carrying out any activity that may affect the protected features of an EMS and need to find out how to operate within the law; or
- monitoring and/or assessing the condition of the protected features
There is already a lot of information available on the use of conservation advice for developers. The JNCC provide useful information on their website.
|Marine Protected Area
|Reg 37 Document
Menai Strait and Conwy Bay SAC
Lleyn Peninsula and the Sarnau SAC
Cardigan Bay SAC
Pembrokeshire Marine SAC
Carmarthen Bay and Estuaries EMS
Northern Cardigan Bay SPA