Species licences for survey and conservation work
You will need a licence if you plan to carry out any kind of survey, research or conservation work. This includes:
- carry out any kind of research or surveying work
- disturb or handle a protected species
- damage or obstruct access to a breeding or resting place
Apply for a survey licence
If you want to apply for a survey licence and have not had one before, you will need to show that you have the necessary training and experience. You will need to submit your completed survey and conservation licence application form.
If you have not held a relevant licence from us before, your application must include a reference form.
Referees must be:
- able to comment on their experience of working with the relevant species
- their ability to use the methods and equipment proposed within your licence application
- qualified themselves and must have held a relevant licence before
- must have experience of your work for at least one survey season
We can only accept one reference from the company you currently work for. We may contact your referees to verify their statements.
Renew your licence and report on your activities
If you want to renew your licence or report on the activities you have carried out under your licence, you will need to complete the survey licence reporting and renewal application form.
Amend your licence
You can ask for amendments to your licence using the relevant forms.
You can contact us for help at any time before or during your licence application.