Guidance on waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE)

The Regulations aim to reduce the amount of WEEE going to landfill and reduce the hazardous substances contained in electronic and electrical equipment.

Approved authorised treatment facilities (AATFs)

If you operate a WEEE authorised treatment facility (ATF) in Wales you can apply for additional approval to become an approved authorised treatment facility (AATF).

AATFs can issue evidence notes for reuse and treatment on the UK WEEE they receive on behalf of producer compliance schemes. This WEEE is known as ‘obligated WEEE’.

See full details on becoming an approved authorised treatment facility (AATF) on

Send queries and completed applications to:

Approved exporters (AEs)

You must apply for approval if you are an exporter in Wales and you want to:

  • issue evidence notes on whole appliances for reuse overseas received from or on behalf of a producer compliance scheme (PCS)
  • export materials extracted from WEEE for treatment, recovery or recycling outside the UK received from an approved authorised treatment facility (AATF) – the AATF issues the evidence on this WEEE

See full details on becoming an approved exporter on

Send queries and completed applications to:

Electrical and electronic equipment producers

If you are based in Wales and put electrical and electronic equipment (EEE) on the UK market you must follow rules on both the EEE you sell and the EEE that becomes waste (WEEE).

EEE producers must play a part in protecting natural resources and managing waste EEE in the best way for people and the environment.

Find details of an EEE producer's responsibilities on

Queries can be e-mailed to: 

Producer Compliance Scheme (PCS)

A producer compliance scheme (PCS) is a membership organisation. The members are producers of electrical and electronic equipment (EEE).

A PCS is responsible for registering all its members every year and must:

  • ensure it meets its financial obligations under the WEEE regulations
  • fulfil its data reporting obligations

Find details of becoming a PCS in Wales on

Queries can be e-mailed to: 


Application fees can be paid in the following ways:


Make the electronic transfer to:

BACS details
Company name Natural Resources Wales  
Company address  Income Department, PO BOX 663, Cardiff, CF24 0TP 
Bank RBS
Address    National Westminster Bank Plc, 2 ½ Devonshire Square, London, EC2M 4BA  
Sort code  60-70-80  
Account number   10014438   

Please put WEEE in the payment reference and e-mail the reference and date of payment to:


Send the cheque to:

Producer Responsibility Unit, Rivers House, St Mellons Business Park, St Mellons, Cardiff, CF11 6QU

Contact us

If you have any questions you can either call us on 0300 065 3000 or email:

Last updated