Buy a fishing rod licence

You need a valid rod licence if you are aged 13 or over and fish for salmon, trout, freshwater fish, smelt or eel in:

  • Wales
  • England (except the river Tweed)
  • the Border Esk region of Scotland

You must always carry your rod licence when you’re fishing or you could be prosecuted and fined up to £2,500.

Get a rod licence

We do not issue rod licences. Go to GOV.UK to find all the information you need to help you buy a licence such as:

  • licence types and rod limits
  • licence costs   

You can also get an adult rod licence by calling the Environment Agency on 0344 800 5386 (find out about call charges

If you plan to visit Wales from overseas, you can buy a licence online on GOV.UK. Give the address you will be staying at and keep your confirmation email as proof that you have a licence.

Extend, replace or update your licence

Call the Environment Agency on 03708 506 506:

  • to replace a licence
  • to change your licence 
  • if you have not received your licence within 15 days of paying for it

To extend a 1 day or 8 day licence, call the Environment Agency on 0344 800 5386.

Find out about call charges.

Angling byelaws (fishing rules)

When freshwater fishing you must follow the angling byelaws (fishing rules)

Last updated